Since its formation in 2018, the purpose of Grassroots for Europe has been to coordinate, strengthen and provide a voice for grassroots pro-Remain / pro-EU campaigns in the UK and for UK citizens in the EU.
We will continue to focus on the needs and capabilities of grassroots pro-EU groups, seeking to ensure their fullest joint contribution in a wider collaborative campaign setting, now additionally served by a national team of elected officers, organised democratically and adequately resourced to fulfil our role.
Grassroots for Europe is committed to providing a body and a voice for those working through local campaign groups towards restoring the UK’s rightful place in the European family of nations. We will fulfil this goal by:
- campaigning for the UK to have the closest possible relationship with the European Union, including, as soon as possible, by re-joining the European Union;
- actively engaging with the EU-UK Friendship Group of the European Parliament as well as official agencies and other cooperation channels;
- identifying, exposing and publicising the adverse consequences of Brexit as they arise, particularly highlighting the effects of new trade agreements (or of their absence) and their impacts on UK communities and businesses;
- resisting and reversing the damaging effects which pro-Brexit campaigns and policies have already inflicted on our democracy and on social cohesion, securities, rights and freedoms;
- championing our European identity and the values of the European Union, including the promotion of peace, prosperity, equality, solidarity, democracy, human rights, the environment and the rule of law;
- promoting and giving practical demonstration of European solidarity and shared values, by encouraging grassroots pan-European dialogue, friendship and collaboration at the level of civil society, economies, science and culture;
- defending the rights of European Union citizens in the UK and UK citizens living in the European Union; and
- promoting a greater understanding of the UK’s historic, present and future interdependence with the other countries of Europe.
Grassroots for Europe is a network of over 250 local pro-EU campaign groups. Our aim is to support the activities of all groups, regardless of affiliation, by sharing knowledge and expertise, facilitating links between groups and their members, and backing innovative grassroots campaign initiatives.